Lip oils have gained popularity in recent years as a go-to product for those seeking a natural and hydrating alternative to traditional lipsticks and glosses. These products combine the benefits of oils with the added bonus of a glossy finish, making them a versatile option for everyday wear or special occasions.
In this blog post, we will explore what lip oils are, their benefits, how to use them, and some of the best lip oils on the market today.
What are lip oils?
Lip oils are typically a combination of natural oils and other nourishing ingredients that help to moisturize and hydrate the lips. They often come in a tube with a wand applicator that allows for easy and precise application.
Most lip oils are formulated to provide a glossy finish, which can enhance the natural beauty of the lips while providing a subtle hint of color. The colors of lip oils tend to be sheer or semi-sheer, which makes them ideal for those who prefer a more natural look.
What are the benefits of lip oils?
One of the primary benefits of lip oils is their hydrating properties. The oils in lip oils can penetrate deep into the skin, helping to keep the lips moisturized and soft. This is especially important during colder months when the air is dry and can lead to chapped lips.
Lip oils are also lightweight, which means they won’t feel heavy or sticky on the lips. This can be a huge advantage for those who prefer a more natural feel to their lip products.
Another benefit of lip oils is their versatility. They can be worn alone for a natural look, or layered over other lip products to add shine and hydration. Some lip oils even have a tint or color, making them a great option for those who want a hint of color without the heaviness of traditional lipsticks.
How to use lip oils
Using a lip oil is easy and straightforward. Simply apply the product directly to the lips using the wand applicator. Start at the center of the lips and work your way outward, being sure to cover the entire surface of the lips.
Lip oils can be used alone or layered over other lip products. If you’re using them over other products, make sure to wait for the initial layer to dry before applying the lip oil.
When using a lip oil, it’s important to remember that a little goes a long way. Start with a small amount and add more as needed.
When to Use Lip Oil
Lip oils can be used in a variety of situations, from everyday wear to special occasions. Here are some examples of when you might want to reach for a lip oil:
- Dry, chapped lips: If your lips are feeling dry and cracked, a lip oil can provide instant relief and hydration. The nourishing oils in the formula will help soothe and repair the skin, leaving your lips soft and smooth.
- Natural makeup look: Lip oils provide a subtle wash of color and a natural-looking shine, making them perfect for those who prefer a more understated makeup look. They can be applied alone or over a lip liner or lipstick for added definition.
- Sun protection: Some lip oils contain SPF, making them a great option for outdoor activities or days when you’ll be spending time in the sun. The SPF will help protect your lips from harmful UV rays, which can cause sunburn, dryness, and even skin cancer.
- Nighttime routine: Applying a lip oil before bed can help prevent dryness and flakiness overnight. The nourishing ingredients will work to repair and hydrate the skin while you sleep, so you wake up with soft, smooth lips.
- Special occasions: Lip oils can provide a high-shine finish and a touch of glamour, making them a great option for weddings, parties, and other special events. They can be layered over a bold lipstick for added drama, or worn alone for a more subtle look.
Ultimately, the best time to use a lip oil is whenever your lips need a boost of hydration and nourishment. Whether you’re looking for a natural-looking shine or a bold pop of color, there’s a lip oil out there for you.
Some of the best lip oils on the market
Now that we’ve covered what lip oils are and their benefits, let’s take a look at some of the best lip oils on the market today.
- Clarins Instant Light Lip Comfort Oil: This lip oil is formulated with hazelnut oil, jojoba oil, and organic cranberry oil to help moisturize and protect the lips. It comes in a range of colors and has a lightweight, non-sticky feel.
- Milk Makeup Kush Lip Glaze: This lip oil is infused with hemp-derived cannabis oil and provides a high-shine finish. It comes in five shades and is perfect for those who want a glossy, natural look.
- Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask: While technically not a lip oil, this product is a must-have for those who want to keep their lips hydrated and smooth. The Lip Sleeping Mask is formulated with a blend of vitamin C, antioxidants, and hyaluronic acid to help lock in moisture while you sleep.
- Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer: This lip oil has a high-shine finish and comes in a range of shades to suit every skin tone. It’s formulated with shea butter and has a non-sticky feel.
- Lancôme Juicy Tubes: This classic lip oil has been a favorite for years. It has a sheer tint and provides a high-shine finish with a non-sticky texture. The formula is enriched with vitamin E, apricot kernel oil, and jojoba oil to keep the lips hydrated and nourished.
- Nars Afterglow Lip Balm: This lip balm is infused with a blend of antioxidant-rich ingredients, including pomegranate extract and antioxidant vitamin E. It provides a sheer wash of color and a glossy finish, making it perfect for everyday wear.
- Tarte SEA Quench Lip Rescue Balm: This lip balm is formulated with algae and marine flower extracts to help hydrate and protect the lips. It comes in a range of shades and has a high-shine finish that’s perfect for those who want a natural look.
Here are some additional details about lip oils that may be helpful:
- Ingredients: The ingredients in lip oils vary, but they often include natural oils like jojoba oil, coconut oil, and argan oil, as well as other nourishing ingredients like vitamin E, shea butter, and antioxidants. Some lip oils may also include synthetic ingredients, so it’s important to read the label if you have any specific ingredient concerns or allergies.
- Longevity: Lip oils typically don’t last as long on the lips as traditional lipsticks or glosses, so you may need to reapply throughout the day. However, the hydrating benefits of lip oils can help prevent the need for constant reapplication by keeping the lips moisturized.
- Skin type: Lip oils can be a great option for those with dry or chapped lips, as they provide extra hydration and nourishment. However, those with oily or acne-prone skin may want to avoid lip oils that contain coconut oil, as it can be comedogenic (meaning it can clog pores and cause breakouts).
- Application: Lip oils can be applied directly to the lips using the wand applicator or with your fingers. Some people prefer to apply lip oils over a lip liner or lipstick for added definition and longevity.
- Price point: Lip oils can range in price from drugstore to high-end, with some options costing as little as a few dollars and others upwards of $30. It’s important to consider your budget when choosing a lip oil, but keep in mind that more expensive options may contain higher quality ingredients and provide longer-lasting hydration.
Lip oils are a great addition to anyone’s beauty routine, providing a hydrating and natural alternative to traditional lipsticks and glosses. With their lightweight feel and versatile finishes, they are perfect for everyday wear or special occasions.
When choosing a lip oil, it’s important to consider the ingredients and the finish you want. Whether you prefer a sheer tint or a high-shine finish, there’s a lip oil out there for you. So go ahead, add a lip oil to your makeup bag and enjoy the benefits of soft, hydrated lips.