Eye mascara is an essential makeup item that can transform your look from ordinary to extraordinary. It is a cosmetic product that is applied to the eyelashes to make them look longer, thicker, and more voluminous. Mascara has been around for a long time, and it is one of the most popular makeup products worldwide. In this blog post, we will be discussing everything you need to know about eye mascara, from its history to how to apply it correctly.
History of Eye Mascara
The history of mascara dates back to ancient Egypt, where women used kohl to darken their eyelashes and eyebrows. Kohl was made from a mixture of lead, ash, and soot, and it was applied using a small stick or brush. In the 19th century, mascara was introduced in the form of a cake that was mixed with water and applied to the eyelashes with a brush. This type of mascara was made from a combination of coal dust and petroleum jelly.
In the 20th century, mascara evolved to become the product we know today. It is now available in various formulas and textures, such as waterproof, volumizing, lengthening, and curling.
Types of Eye Mascara
There are several types of mascara available on the market, each designed to achieve a specific effect. Here are the most common types of eye mascara:
- Volumizing Mascara: This type of mascara is designed to make the eyelashes appear thicker and fuller.
- Lengthening Mascara: Lengthening mascara is designed to make the lashes appear longer and more defined.
- Waterproof Mascara: As the name suggests, waterproof mascara is resistant to water and sweat, making it ideal for sports, swimming, or humid weather.
- Curling Mascara: Curling mascara is designed to lift and curl the lashes, making the eyes appear more open and awake.
- Non-Clumping Mascara: This type of mascara is designed to prevent clumps from forming on the lashes, resulting in a more natural look.
- Colored Mascara: Colored mascara comes in a range of shades, from classic black to bright blue or green. It is an excellent way to add a pop of color to your makeup look.
How to Choose the Right Mascara for You
Choosing the right mascara can make all the difference in achieving your desired look. When selecting a mascara, consider the effect you want to achieve, the formula, and the brush type. If you’re looking for a natural look, a lengthening or defining mascara may be the best choice. For a more dramatic look, a volumizing or curling mascara may be more suitable.
When it comes to the formula, consider your needs and preferences. If you have sensitive eyes, you may want to choose a hypoallergenic formula. If you’re going to be active or in humid weather, consider a waterproof formula. And if you’re looking for a more natural formula, there are many options available that are free from parabens, phthalates, and other harmful ingredients.
As for the brush type, there are many options available, from curved to straight, and from small to large. Experiment with different brush types to find the one that works best for you.
How to Apply Eye Mascara
Now that you know the different types of mascara available, it’s time to learn how to apply it correctly. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you achieve perfect lashes:
Step 1: Start by curling your lashes with an eyelash curler. Place the curler at the base of your lashes and hold for a few seconds. Then, move the curler slightly up and hold again. Repeat this process until you have curled all your lashes.
Step 2: Next, apply a coat of mascara to your top lashes. Start at the base of your lashes and wiggle the wand back and forth as you move it upwards. This technique helps to separate and coat each lash evenly.
Step 3: Apply a second coat of mascara to your top lashes, focusing on the tips to create more volume.
Step 4: For your bottom lashes, use the tip of the wand to apply mascara in a gentle zig-zag motion.
Step 5: To prevent clumps, use a lash comb to separate and define your lashes.
Common Mascara Mistakes to Avoid
While mascara can be a game-changer in your makeup routine, there are a few common mistakes to avoid. One of the most common mistakes is applying too much mascara, which can lead to clumps and a spidery effect. Another mistake is using an old or dried-out mascara, which can cause your lashes to clump and break.
Using an eyelash curler after applying mascara is another mistake to avoid, as this can cause your lashes to stick to the curler and potentially break. Finally, avoid pumping the wand in and out of the tube, as this introduces air and can dry out the mascara.’
Removing Mascara Properly
Removing your mascara properly is essential to maintaining healthy lashes. Leaving mascara on overnight can cause your lashes to become brittle and break. To remove your mascara, use a gentle makeup remover or micellar water and a cotton pad. Gently wipe the cotton pad over your lashes until all traces of mascara have been removed.
If you’re struggling to remove your mascara, try using an oil-based makeup remover or coconut oil. These can help to break down the mascara and make it easier to remove.
Tips for Perfect Lashes
Here are some additional tips to help you achieve perfect lashes:
- Choose the right mascara formula for your needs.
- Always curl your lashes before applying mascara.
- Wipe off excess mascara from the wand before applying to prevent clumps.
- Avoid pumping the wand in and out of the tube as it introduces air and dries out the mascara.
- Use a lash comb to separate your lashes and remove any clumps.
- Consider using a primer before applying mascara. This will help to lengthen and thicken your lashes while also providing a base for your mascara to adhere to.
- Experiment with different mascara brushes to find one that works best for you. Some brushes are designed to separate and define each lash, while others are better for adding volume.
- Don’t forget to remove your mascara at the end of the day to prevent damage to your lashes. Use a gentle makeup remover or micellar water to remove all traces of mascara.
- If you want to create a dramatic look, consider applying false lashes in addition to your mascara.
- Finally, practice makes perfect! The more you practice applying mascara, the easier it will become, and the better your lashes will look.
Eye mascara is a must-have makeup item for any beauty lover. It is versatile, easy to use, and can instantly transform your look. With so many different formulas and types available, there is a mascara out there for everyone. By following the tips and techniques outlined in this post, you can achieve perfect lashes every time. Whether you’re going for a natural or dramatic look, mascara is an essential tool in any makeup bag.